Thursday, July 4, 2013

Throwback Thursday ~ My Mom, the Rock Biter


neverending story, rock bite, rock eater

"They look like big, good, strong hands..."Rock Biter


It's a weird thing to come across Rock Biter after all these years and have him remind me of my mother. And no, before you get ridiculous, my mother does not bite rocks.

My mom was never really one to self-criticise, at least not in front of us kids. Ask my Mini Starlite what her mother doesn't like about herself, and I'm sure she'd come up with a list (I know I know, be careful of what you say in front of the little ones). I digress...

The one thing I do remember my Mom talking about was/is her hands. Her "big farm man hands", as she refers to them. As a child she worked hard on the farm, which served to be her course in life. The strength of her "big, good, strong hands..." has allowed her to care for her family, physically and financially.

On the flip side, it was difficult for her to find something as simple as a pair of leather gloves that fit. Bracelets and watches were always to small. Not until recent years did she ever feel like her hands were pretty enough for manicures. And now as I watch the arthritis manifest, it saddens me to see the strength slip away.

The physical strength only. Because deep inside those "big farm man hands", was love, compassion and caring touch stronger than any rock. If the day comes when things start slipping through her fingers, and she can no longer hold on... I will be there to hold her hand.

Those "big, good, strong hands..." raised us with a gentle touch. Their tenderness will not be soon forgotten, and their Spirit will live on forever.

)o(

Love and Light,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment