Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cupcakes & Page of Cups

Page of Cups ~ Stephanie Pui-Mun Law
To sit down with my dear sweet friend, the Page of Cups, fills my heart and makes me long for the days filled with untarnished dreams. There is an air of excitement about her, but she keeps to herself at first, watching the passers by as she collects her thoughts. She's working on something, I can see it in her eyes. The early morning sun, surrounded by a dose of signature Capital humidity has her captivated and inspired. I can't wait to see how this early morning meeting is going to transform into a glorious new cupcake.

The PoC on work, health, love, lifestyle and spiritual direction

IS: From the PMO's office to cupcake aficionado. How?

Paige: Right? It was one of those things that could never be planned for. I mean I dreamed about it all the time, having my own cupcakery... but I'm a Poli Sci grad who's supposed to be following in the footsteps of my parents. (Sigh) What a waste of money, but it taught me discipline I guess...

 She stares off for a minute, a flash of insecurity colours her cheeks.

Paige: Anyways, we were having a pre-Canada Day function in the office and were asked to bring in some snacks and stuff. I love baking, and cupcakes are my favourite, so I simply made a batch thinking absolutely nothing of it. It was my contribution for the day... maple cinnamon with red and white icing. The staff went crazy for them, and I just started getting requests... my daughter's birthday, a school function for my son, fundraiser... a friend of a friend event. And then I got a request to bake for a wedding party of 200, she wanted 5 different original flavours... and that is how my career ended and started.

IS: All that baking and sampling, and yet you look incredible!

Paige: Ha, thanks for noticing. This is a brand new body, trust me. Again, one of those random meetings that's changed me physically. A new Cross Fit type gym put an order request for their Grand Opening, this was a tricky one as the cakes needed to be super healthy and still yummy. I made their cakes and they offered my to try a class. I've been hooked ever since. Never done anything like this but I'm always up for trying something new!

IS: Are you sharing this journey with anyone special?

Her eyes light up in a magical way, and the excitement of young love, palpable.

Paige: I just started dating him and he's amazing. We literally ran into each other at the library, can you imagine? Like old school fairytale kinda stuff. I was going through a bunch of art history books, just looking for ideas you know. It was raining out, not much else to do... whatever. I didn't realize I barricaded the aisle, and he was trying to get through. He helped me move the books, but ended up spending the rest of the afternoon with me on the floor of the library.

IS: So what are your plans from here?

Paige: Plans? As in structured, concrete plans? Yah right... I go where the day takes me. Money or not, I let the ride of life take me. I believe that whereever I am, I'm meant to be. I'll figure it out once I get there.

IS: You mentioned that your education has helped you with discipline, and yet you seem so free spirited.

Paige: True. I see what you're getting at, but here's the thing. I live for the moment, but I also experience the moment and take in each lesson as it presents itself. I listen. I think that's one of my strong points. For example, remember the wedding lady that changed my life? I didn't know how the hell I was going to come up with all of these unique ideas and flavours. I mean, really, I was baking from my mom's kitchen, with no professional experience or qualifications at all. I wanted to tell her, remind her of my amature'ness. Instead, I kept my mouth shut and listened to every single word and detail she gave me. I went home, researched and looked up everything I could on flavour pairing and a bunch of other boring baking stuff. I didn't quit until I had what she wanted. That's what discipline helped me with. I'm good at flying by the seat of my pants because I have a solid foundation.

IS: Where do you go from here?

Paige: I don't know, but there is a change in the wind. I can feel it in every bone of my body. I can sense things, you know what I mean? I knew a walk down the red velvet road  with blinders on was going to pan out. Just like I know things are about to get big and fast. I don't know how or when, I just know it will. I'm preparing myself the best I can. But like I said before, I have a solid foundation. So when it comes charging at me, I say bring it!


)o(

Love and Light,
Amanda

Have you ever landed a$$ backwards into something special because of a hidden talent?
When has intuition changed your life?

Don't forget to follow me @indigospiritspa

No comments:

Post a Comment